Filming inside the senior school. I think it was a student called Eszther who was lined up to chat with me, but she got too shy. Her replacements, Katinka and Irena* (names changed, obviously), were pretty shy too, but it was a weird situation all round, and I needed to keep reminding myself of this fact.
Irena's house was affected, and is set to be bulldozed. I think they've bought a new house in town. Katinka told me (with Kate, their English teacher, translating - hey, this was supposed to be English practice for the girls!) that they hadn't given up hope, and that she'd seen me on the local television (presumably talking at the public meeting - I just thought the cameraman was filming it for the Mayor's office, or the green party who hosted the meeting, or for his own collection.)
The flash has whited out my daughter's picture that she drew for the children over there, but I was really proud that at 5, she's already written "Magyar".
No comments:
Post a Comment